Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Almost Free" Painting #3

This is the third in my series of original paintings offered for $5 to promote my new blog and website.
Yesterday I offered General Grant (which still hasn't sold as yet if you want to pick up the pair), and today I am offering his adversary, Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
I wanted to use a limited palette for this painting and started out with just 3 colors, cerulean blue, cadmium red light, and yellow ochre. It became clear pretty fast that I was going to need something a little darker so I added burnt umber into the mix. I love using a limited palette, because I am forced to mix, and the result is gray tones that harmonize with the rest of the painting.
Robert E. Lee
8x10 watercolor on 140lb paper
$5

No comments:

Post a Comment