Monday, January 24, 2011

Rush's Painting

Today I am doing a portrait of Rush, winner of the Pet Portrait Contest on my Facebook book page.
Wire haired dogs always prove to bee a challenge for me. I am not a "paint every hair" detail type of painter, so I need to give the impression of fine hair without painting every hair. To do this I am going to do some negative painting, and dragging a semi-dry brush to give some broken lines. I will also go back and scrape out some highlight hairs with a razor blade.

Looking at Rush's photo, I see all kinds of different colors, browns, grays, blues and yellows.
I start with the lighter colors first and let different colors mix on the page.


Then I follow up with the blues and grays. I try not to get to heavy handed because I want specks of browns to show through. There are no hard lines in Rush's coloring, just specks and lines of different colors peeking through, so I wanted to show this.


I don't really like the hard lines where the browns are meeting the grays, so I am going to make it a point to merge those edges. I have a tendency to make my greens too dark, with dark dogs, and the result is usually a muddy looking painting.
Rush has so many earth tones in his coloring, I didn't want him to get lost in the background, so I was very careful this time to keep the background light and bright, so Rush really stands out.
For the final touch, I took a razor blade, and scraped out a few highlights around the mouth and eyebrows to give the impression of fine hairs catching the sun.



3 comments:

  1. I've seen several other artists on the internet who specialize in pet portraits.....none as good as you. I have a keen talent of own.....recognizing the talent in others. I've recognized your's.
    Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lois. I appreciate the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures and descriptions of your process. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete